Renewals will follow the same process.
If you change your name, continue to use your old seal until commission expires. Sign with your new name and add "Commissioned as (prior name). Report your change of name to the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
If you change your address, notify the Secretary of Commonwealth in WRITING of the change of your home address (if you are a resident).
If you change your employer, non-residents must notify the Secretary of the Commonwealth in WRITING of employer and employer's address.
Congratulations! You are on your way to being a well-trained professional notary who will serve Virginia with distinction.
- Order the Notary.net Virginia Online Notary Seminar
- Obtain an application by calling (804) 786-2441.
- Get a handbook from Secretary of Commonwealth or from the website www.commonwealth.virginia.gov/OfficialDocuments/Notary/notary.cfm
- Submit application with $45.00 check (payable to Treasurer of VA) to the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
You will be notified within 2 - 4 weeks of your appointment
- When you are notified of your appointment, you have 60 days to present yourself to to Court Clerk to take your oath and pick up your commission certificate. The clerk will require an additional fee of $10 (payable to the court).
- Order your stamp and seal. Also get a journal if you have not already purchased one.